Sunday, October 19, 2008

DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET CHICKEN POX EVEN IF YOU WERE VACCINATED?

Just about a month ago, my local fruit seller told me there was quite a few kids in my neighbourhood down with chicken pox. Many of the parents have been dropping by his fruit stand to by raw coconut water. It seems the refreshing raw coconut water helps relieve the chicken pox symptoms, meaning it's believed to help reduce the "heatiness" of the body.
Now, I'm not a doctor, so I can't comment on the "heatiness" stuff (please see your doctor or your local herbalist for more information on this). I do know, it's no harm to drink coconut water. Lots of liquid is always good when someone is not feeling well. And coconut water is known to have anti bacteria and anti viral properties. It's pack full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants so you can't go wrong with raw coconut water.

But anyways, just about a week ago, my girlfriend emailed me that her eldest daughter is also down with chicken pox, and this despite having a chicken pox vaccine (she lives quite far away from me, by the way). If you don't know by now, chicken pox vaccines are offered for free in many countries so many kids do get vaccinated when they are toddlers. I was quite alarmed. Why despite the vaccine are people and kids in particular, getting sick? So I went into the internet, did a check, and yes, a few government health department websites around the world does state that despite vaccinations, one can get struck down by chicken pox, but the symptoms won't be so severe.

I'll write more about chicken pox later, but for now, please note that there are cooked coconut water and raw coconut water. Some coconuts (in the shell) are slowly "smoked" over a slow, smoldering heat to give the water a sweeter, thus yummier taste, but the problem is heat destroys vitamins and enzymes, so raw coconut water is the better way to go. Most people can't tell the difference between a raw coconut and a cooked coconut in the shell. So if you are buying coconut in the shell, ask the fruit sellers. I'm sure they will be more than happy to show you the difference.

Jasmin
"Eat Raw Food Today" facebook group

No comments: