Monday, November 17, 2008

GOOD SLEEP

Here's a picture of my first born in such deep sleep that he is still holding his favorite No 5 Elmo card in his hand.




Unlike my kids who can put themselves into really good deep sleep, I used to have difficulty sleeping.

You see, I used to be a very light sleeper. I would think about stuff that happened during the day and if I need to, I would wake up in the middle of the night and write my thoughts and reminders down in a little notebook that has been placed next to my bed. Now, I knew this is a very bad habit. I was doing a great disservice to my mind and body by not allowing myself to have a good rest.

I then trained myself, will myself to getting good sleep. And good naps in the afternoon. When I was working with my family's Land Survey firm, I always felt that I needed lots of sleep. It didn't help that I would go out at ungodly hours of the night to meet up with friends. I would feel tired by lunch time, and lunch is only an hour. What to do? What to do?
I would quickly wolf down my lunch at home (home is 5 mins away from the office) and then grab as much siesta as possible before I start work at the office again a 2pm.
I would get a nice, comfy dark cloth and cover my eyes to shield myself from any light that might disturb me. I then also will myself not to think. I find that if I clear my mind, I fall asleep fast. I can even feel my body going into sleep mode!
I would glare at anyone who would dare wake me up during my naps, cause every minute is precious and the clock is ticking!

Those were the days, when I was young, and never appreciated sleep like I do today.
Problem is, I'm now very attached to having to cover my eyes, and sometimes I see my son trying to imitate me, but he doesn't realise he's not doing it right because he covers his entire face with his blankie. That's a definite no-no.

And now that I have 2 wonderful kids, a toddler and a baby who still wakes up like 3 times a night, I really, really appreciate good rest.

By the way, the raw foodie community belief that we need less sleep if we were to consume more raw food as opposed to eating a heavy cooked meal. I'm not sure about this theory right now because I still don't have enough sleep as my baby still wakes me up a couple of times a night, and that really makes me tired during the day. I will report on this later :-)

But thinking about it, I usually feel sleepy after a heavy carbohydrate meal, like the Indian Banana Leaf rice, or a heavy pasta for lunch. I don't feel sleepy after having a large glass of juice or a plate of fruit or a large plate of salad like the Penang fruit rojak.

Hmmmm. Something to think about! Anyways, it's now 12.25am, and I need to sign up to go to bed.


Jasmin
"Eat Raw Food Today" facebook group
http://eatrawfoodtoday.blogspot.com/



Here's another adorable picture of my son with the card in his hand and and his leg up against the wall. Really shiok!

No comments: