Saturday, November 1, 2008

SNACK ATTACK!

I had a snack attack last night, but the problem was, the single apple I ate was just not so satisfying. I wanted something savory, something salty that would make me go hmmmmm.

I didn't have any meat in my freezer, mainly because my freezer is not working well. It keeps icing over. All I had was lots of fruits and some raw shiitake mushrooms. I decided to make some yummy raw "stirfried" shiitake mushrooms. I realise many people have not had a raw mushroom dish, so I thought I'd share this recipe with you.

Yup, it tastes like it's stirfried.



Here's the picture of the raw mushrooms straight out from the fridge,
with the stems removed.



I then added one part soy sauce to one part vegetable oil.

It's not necessary to add so much. Otherwise, it'll just be too soggy.
Best to add a little bit of sauce at a time. You can always add more later.
In this case, I added half teaspoon of soy sauce and half teaspoon of oil to
one one bag of shiitake mushrooms.


The mixture is then stirred vigorously to form an emulsion.


Add the mushrooms into the sauce. Squeeze the mixture with your hands like you are squeezing a sponge. Don't worry, it will all mix well, and the mushrooms will not deflate like some pitiful birthday balloon with no air.


Here's the yummy, shiny, final product.


To make it look nicer, you can sprinkle some raw basil leaf on top. I didn't because my snack attack happened at about 11pm and I was too lazy to decorate this dish, so late at night.

It's real good. Try it, and try it on your friends. Add these raw mushrooms in some noodle dish to up your intake of raw food. Believe me, most people won't even realize it's not cooked!

Have fun.

Jasmin
"Eat Raw Food Today" facebook group
http://eatrawfoodtoday.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Karmeleon said...

Is there some additional value to eating mushrooms raw?

RawFoodie said...

Yup there are lots of good stuff in these wonderful mushrooms, provided they are not poisonious. :-)

I dreged up these old post from my Eat Raw Food facebook group from Aug 26 & 27.

I'm posting it up now for you.