Tuesday, May 26, 2009

NOT SOUR STRAWBERRIES


My son loves strawberries ever since he saw a Dora The Explorer cartoon. In that particular episode, Dora and her little monkey friend Boots went on an exciting adventure eating everything strawberries.

I myself don't really like strawberries. When I was in Pitt State, I bought a huge punnet of strawberries from Wal-Mart. It was cheap. And despite what my room mate said, it wasn't sweet. It was sour. But it was probably just the Asian little me who never really ate strawberries before this. I didn't want the strawberries I bought go to waste, so I actually blended the whole thing in a quart of milk with some sugar. I have to say, it does taste like those packaged strawberry milk we buy from the supermarket. But I still didn't like it.

Anyways, there's this guy who sells pretty cheap strawberries every Sunday at the flea market at The Curve. He says the strawberries come from cool hill station Cameron Highlands. And I continuously by them for Yang-Yang.

This week however, he refused to eat strawberries. I don't know why. Maybe because there's other yummy fruits in my kitchen. There's mangoes, mangoesteen, coconut, apples, pears. I could go on.

So what to do? I didn't want to throw it away, so I washed the little berries, and sprinkled some sugar on it. I left it on the countertop, and had forgotten about it. The starwberries had soaked up the sugar, and whoohooohooo, it tastes yummy.

I wish I did that years ago.

Jasmin
Come join my "Eat Raw Food Today" facebook group

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi jaz, I could have told you that. just sprinkle one tbs sugar to one punnet, don't have to stir even. Leave in fridge overnight, next day almost like strawwbery jam minus the tons of sugar they put in. But actually, in Aus and elsewhere I suspect, if you get the right punnet and if you acquire the taste for it, they can be naturally sweet (not the sugar
cane sweetness, another more fructosy sort)..try a few times and see..

Anita

nekochan said...

I've been making pure strawberry sorbet
2 punnets of strawberries
1 tsp sugar - or to taste, but very little sugar required
juice from 1 lemon
- blend together and then freeze1

Surprisingly the lemon makes it even sweeter!